Thursday, August 15, 2013

RECIPE: Southwest Burrito Joes

So I'm in a bit of a cookbook craze, meaning I just intentionally acquired a new cookbook. I'm really not a cookbook person. Maybe I've been spoiled by the internet, by stream-lined and easy to search recipe files with pretty pictures that I can print and toss and forget about. Maybe it's because cookbooks generally reflect the personality of the cook, their attitude towards cooking and towards food, and it seems I don't often agree with those attitudes. Every so often, though, a particular cookbook will strike me.

We're talking every couple of years.

Before I break out recipes from my *fancy new cookbook* (read: Polish cookbook from the late 60's, I am SO PSYCHED), I'm going to share what is currently my favorite cookbook find to date. Seriously, I have made this recipe so many times I could do it in my sleep (also, it is incredibly easy). I don't think I've tested a single other recipe from this cookbook (an entire folio devoted to wraps, how lovely and hip), but for no other reason than these wraps it is one of the few and favorites in my cookbook collection.

SOUTHWEST 
BURRITO JOES 
(I have no idea what they're "officially" called anymore. They're asked for by name as 'sloppy joe wraps.' Let's file them under delicious. Do note, the original recipe has been adapted to suit the picky members of this household who for reasons stemming from pure insanity will not touch onions. It otherwise may well have evolved over time.)

INGREDIENTS
  • 2c Rice, cooked
  • 1lb Ground Beef
  • 12oz Chili Sauce
  • 2tbsp White Distilled Vinegar
  • 1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 1/2tbsp Ground Cumin
  • 1tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1tsp Onion Powder
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 1tsp Pepper
  • 1/2tsp Chili Powder
  • 4-6 12" Flour Tortillas, for wraps
So some tips on rice cooking. It's a 1:2 cup ratio rice to water, and works best with whole and even numbers (that is, stick to 1:2 or 2:4, not 1.5:3). In a saucepan or pot pour water over the rice and stir a bit so it's not immediately a clump on the bottom, then cover and place over average heat. It'll come to a boil quickly; when it does, drop the flame to as low as it can possibly go (the lowest of low flames) and let cook for twenty minutes. After twenty minutes, remove from flame, 'fluff' with fork, and you're good to go.

Setting your rice to the side, break up your beef (that phrase has a lot of potential: YO, BREAK UP YOUR BEEF) in a skillet or frying pan and brown, as if you were cooking meat for tacos. Once browned, drain beef fat. I do this less for any semblence of health consciousness than for a better, less sloppy texture; replace on burner and adjust flame to medium-low. Add your chili sauce, one tablespoon of vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and stir for an even, wonderful, gloppy coat. Next add your dry ingredients and remaining tablespoon of vinegar and stir about until it's evenly seasoned. Turn off your heat and mix in your rice until it's a beautiful conglomerate of saucy meaty wonder.

Seriously, how easy was that? I challenge anyone to think up an excuse to buy canned sloppy joe mix. Gross. This form is a little less sloppy than your typical Manwich, so you can serve it a number of ways: maybe a taco salad or with chips and salsa or, as we typically do, a la burrito.

Evolution of Burrito


The above is a silly little diagram of my burrito rolling method. The trick is portion control; over stuff your burrito and you will have a very sloppy burrito joe. Also, unless you have a fancy Chipotle-style tortilla steamer (in which case, I hate you be my best friend), you're best off microwaving your tortilla on HIGH for thirty seconds, just to get things all loosey goosey. 

As depicted, at the bottom of the tortilla about an inch and a half from the edge plop about a half a cup (slightly smaller than a fistful) of 'joe (har har, cuppa joe) and, if you fancy, a blob of sour cream. Fold the long sides of your tortilla over each other, then fold the bottom edge up, kind of like you're wrapping a delicious Tex-Mex present. Fold the "pocket" up maybe two or three times until it's wrapped up nicely and then tuck the ends in. Voila! Burrito magic. 





No comments:

Post a Comment